Saturday, March 15, 2014

I am a believer!

There comes a time in your life when you will hit rock bottom, whether its physically, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually. And when you do, there is nowhere to go, but up. My body has always been a difficult one with which I have to deal. I gain weight easily, I grow facial and neck hair (and I promise, I have always been a female ;] ) and it takes me twice as long to lose weight as it does for other people. All the while that other girls were eating whatever they wanted and running a couple miles and managing to lose five pounds in a week, I had to practically starve myself by living on carrots and celery, and work out for at least an hour each day. At one point in my young adult life, I was running five miles a day, and living on Slim Fast and salads, just to keep my weight where it was. From the age of 13 to the year I turned 22, I was obsessed with my weight and how "fat" I looked. Honestly, now when I go back and look at pictures of my teenage self, I see a kid who was hardly overweight at all. How did I see so much fat there, when now all I see is how thin I looked? Perception is very weird, and totally in our heads.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, rock bottom. :)

My rock bottom was about a year long. I had worked up a numbness to the way I physically looked and emotionally felt. I had stopped caring. And it was obvious. I didn't really take care of myself. I ate whatever I darn well felt like eating. I would wear the same clothes for days. I wouldn't shower until my husband couldn't stand my smell anymore. It was bad. Some days I would just stay in bed all day. Some people say this looks like depression, but it wasn't that. This was an active decision on my part to just stop caring. Period.

Then we moved to California. I had to start meeting new people, and I would often be in the position where I was around younger people. I cracked jokes about my age and my weight, and I was a little stunned to find that instead of making fun of me (which I was prepared for), I got a lot of positive feedback. "You're not that fat." "You can just start exercising!" "You're still young, you can be healthy!" This struck me. Deeply.

A few months ago, I was looking for ways to help me jump start weight loss and get me motivated. I mentioned a couple posts ago that it was my mom that introduced me to Shred, although at that time, I was skeptical and just listened out of curiosity. I had been planning to buy some herbal pills off of Amazon.com that claimed to help suppress appetite and help you lose weight in a normal amount of time (in a year, you could lose 90 lbs). Then about a week before I was scheduled to travel to my parents' house, I talked with my mom again over the phone, and she convinced me just to try Shred.

Today, being Saturday, was my weigh-in day. Today marks one full week being on Shred. And I have lost, in total, 9.5 lbs IN ONE WEEK. I haven't been taking magical weight-loss pills, I haven't been exercising five hours a day, I haven't even been starving myself. I have been eating six to seven small meals every day that are healthy foods, drinking lots and lots of water, and exercising for about 40 minutes five out of the seven days of the week. I told my husband Ben, who has been skeptical this whole week, about my weight loss, and now he is totally on board, ready to buy the book so I can have it when I go home in two weeks.

You can change your body and you don't have to become a gym rat or half-anorexic. It's time to take back your health, if nothing else. If you don't really have weight to lose, then at least look at Shred and see what health benefits you can receive. You will learn how to eat healthy again, you'll be able to train your body to recognize when you are actually hungry, and YOU will be in control of your cravings of sugar and fatty snacks.

If I, who have genetics and hormones working against me, can do this, you can do this too. :) I believe in you!

1 comment: