Monday, March 17, 2014

How badly do you want cake?

Don't get me wrong, I think cake with lovely thick, rich vanilla cream frosting is super delicious. And I love velvet cakes and cheesecakes. But I don't think that I do anymore. I'll explain :)

Sundays are always a difficult day to do anything on your own special schedule if you're a Mormon (which I am). We have a three-block church meeting that lasts for about three hours, and so that makes doing Shred a little difficult on Sunday. However, I just take an easy snack with me (a one ounce mozzarella cheese stick and half of an apple sliced) and I make sure to eat meal right before church, and a meal right after so that I am staying on schedule with the whole "eating every one and a half hours" thing.

Well, yesterday both my married siblings were home visiting as well (I'm here for two more weeks, so is my sister, and my brother was up for the weekend). So besides church, I was very distracted, in a good way. My day started out pretty normally. I ate a quick breakfast before stepping out the door, made sure that I had a snack fixed for both my toddler and me (which I would be eating in the middle of Sunday School), and went to church with my whole family. It was when we got home that my food schedule literally fell apart. Church started at nine, so it wasn't until about twelve-thirty that we got home (I met a couple old friends I had graduated high school with and we chatted for twenty minutes, to the chagrin of my siblings who waited in the car with my daughter. Haha, sorry guys :) ) I ate pretty soon after we got home, a tomato bisque soup with shredded lettuce in it. But then, I got distracted with my sister and adorable nephew, with my brother and his darling wife, and with an awesome homemade slide that consists of three mattresses on the stairs, and slippery pajamas (I watched my three-year-old, helped by my sixteen-year-old brother, slide down with increasing glee each time).

An hour and a half went by, and I didn't remember to eat. Another hour and a half went by, and I was too busy to notice. Five o'clock came around and then it hit me. A throbbing headache, and a stabbing pain in my stomach. I looked at the clock and I realized that I hadn't eaten in over four hours. Frantically, I got up, looked at my notebook where I keep my daily menus, and saw that I had missed a meal and a snack. I notified my mom and asked her anxiously what I should do. She told me to remain calm, that we would all be having dinner in a few minutes, and that I should just have very small portions of dinner, and then try to get back on my menu. So that was what I did. I began feeling better right away after I had eaten and had lots of water.

Then came the cake. The fantastical and splendorous St. Patrick's Day cake that my mother had worked on for hours, consisting of one layer velvet cake, dyed green, one layer cheesecake, normal off-white, and another layer of velvet cake, dyed green also. It was covered in a thick, cream cheese frosting, and decorated with green chocolate shamrocks. Mom and I had decided a week ago that we would each have a very small slice each. So I was mentally prepared for a very thin, and what I anticipated to be very delicious, piece of cake.


I ate every single bite of that small slab of green and white cake. Sugar! It tastes so good! turned into Wow, this doesn't taste as good as I remember. turned into Holy crap, I'm going to be sick. And then that cake that had started out tasting magically delicious, turned to ash in my mouth. I don't know why I ate that whole piece. I don't know if stopping halfway through would've rendered me just as sick. But I can tell you right now, that my body did NOT like what was happening. I had been eating clean for a little over a week, and then suddenly, WHAM, I hit my poor body with a whole load of processed sugars and fats. And it couldn't take a hit like that. I felt miserable. And I felt totally bewildered as to how I thought that eating a piece of cake was a good idea in the first place. I spent the rest of the night in pain and sickness, and I knew that I probably would never really want a bite of cake again, let alone a whole piece, no matter how small!

This morning I was trying to remember how good the cake tasted, but that sensory memory is overwritten by how awful I felt in the aftermath. Honestly, I can't remember how good it was. And I saw that cake in the fridge this morning, and felt a little nauseated.

I think I have been cured of cake. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment